Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Lines. Josie Lim.



Being an ex-Architecture student, I'm no stranger to lines. With our t-squares and 30-60-90/45-90 triangles, we were required to make perfect, measured lines in our hand-drafting classes. It was a very strict procedure; every mistake from minor to major ones will be encircled with a big red marker(line quality, line value blablablabla)… and the horror when you receive your plate back and see a “REPEAT PLATE” instruction. (I can feel your pain, Tin.)

We were also taught freehand line drawing in Architecture – to draw a straight line you must predict where your line will end, and focus on that direction. (But I love CT! Hello, fun and fashion! Bye-bye Archi).

I remember being ecstatic after finishing a tough drafting plate, then suddenly bird poop falls down from the leaky roof, staining my plate. Words cannot explain how I felt after that.

That’s why I felt a tinge of déjà vu when we did the lines activity. I cannot escape lines. They’re everywhere, as long as the human imagination thinks so (since geometrically speaking lines are infinite – sorry if I’m sounding like a geek here haha).

Pencil lines are easily erased. That’s their strong point. However, they are prone to being smudged and dirtied. They don’t also mark evenly. Pen lines are clean and even. Marker lines are thicker and heavier. I believe knowing these will help us in learning fashion design. Lines, whether straight or curved convey so much meaning, and also help create illusions in clothing design to make up for whatever imperfections we may have (yey, CT11!). It’s just up to us, who aspire to be designers someday, to utilize the use of lines so that we can create the best designs.


XOXO, Josie.

No comments:

Post a Comment