Saturday, July 11, 2009

Lines | Tin Iglesias





Truthfully, at first I was indolent to do the lab work because I did the same activity before in two of my Fine Arts classes in UST, Freehand Drawing and Mechanical Drawing. Hahaha! Those plates are still hunting me, for the reason that I got quite a number of red circular marks on my line drawings, circles, squares, ellipses and the like. *CRYYY. My professors were very meticulous! Once they see a small blot of ink or an accidental line, they will put a comment (take note: large font size) or a red mark. But as the amount of requirements and plates grew, I was able to get the hang of it and assimilate the elements of design into my other plates as well. I am not saying that I can already draw perfect lines (as I still can't haha) but I improved, bearing in mind my first few blahhh plates in CFAD. I then realized the significance of lines in creating a design.


Each kind of line produces its own effect. Straight lines indicate strength whereas curved lines signify grace and femininity. Horizontal lines imply a feeling of rest. Vertical lines communicate a feeling of spirituality and loftiness. Diagonal lines suggest a feeling of emotion or movement. Curved lines suggest calmness, security and relaxation. I actually had a slightly difficult time using the pentel pen because I am not that comfortable in using the medium. I like the tech pen and pencil better. Although the pentel pen saved a lot of time because it took a wider space.

Lines indeed have an effect. I believe that lines, one of the art elements, are the utmost diplomacies of fashion designers. With adequate knowledge on lines, a designer can invite and instruct attention. Sometimes the response is strong, every so often it is subliminal - in the perceiver or wearer. Understanding this response is fundamental to good designing. For instance, the arrangement of lines in clothing design can cause to come out heavier otherwise thinner than what actually is. The capability to articulate what is happening with a garment allows strengthening, amendment and improvement of the design.

I learned that it is a huge advantage to be able to reflect on the outcome of my design, to give explanation on what is intentional and to determine how close I am to attaining my desired result. Having awareness will also help me assess other designers' strengths and to spot changes in the fashion market. :)

♥ Tin Iglesias

No comments:

Post a Comment