Sunday, July 12, 2009

Lines | Yana Santiago


I didn't realize the importance of lines in our daily life. I didn't really get to 'internalize' its value back in highschool and in my early college days. Our CT 11 class introduced its significance in fashion. The lab work was pretty much nerve-racking because I'm not good in freehand drawing. There's no harm in trying, right? :) Anyway, I just realized that there are different kinds of lines all having different functions.

Lines play a big responsibility in fashion. It could be visible or invisible (for example, psychic line). The visible lines somehow manage to change the garment's effects to people. For example, big horizontal lines make the wearer fat.

My theater 12 classmates saw the 6 dresses in a paper activity sheet (I'm sorry I don't know what to call it!) and I told them, 'How would you make this (pointing at one dress) look thin and this (pointing at another dress) fat when it's the same size?' They were supportive enough to suggest different techniques. One girl said, 'Draw a Vertical line to make her look thin and the other one, a thick horizontal line to make her look fat.' So, I guess lines really play an important role in fashion.

I believe that lines create illusions to clothing that could make the wearer fat, thin, short or tall.

No comments:

Post a Comment