Monday, June 29, 2009

On Conformity and Individuality. Josie Lim.

Conformity is important in retaining the order of society. Following the rules and trends renders one safe from social suicide.

Individuality, on the other hand, derives from free thinking and is risky. One wants to express his or her self better than everyone else. It is a spark of creativity. The individualist stands out - an element of shock.

Both conformity and individuality are important. Conformity creates followers, and individuality creates leaders, without which society cannot function. The same goes for fashion. Conforming to a certain trend for so long is boring; so the people seated on top of the fashion world start a new trend with their individuality.

I believe that one must know when to conform and when to express individuality. A good fashionista knows how to conform and at the same time express individuality.

On my case, I usually show my creativity by being individualistic. Being in U.P, I can dress up as much as I want, and I don't care. But I still conform to the conservative standards of society, though. You'll never see me wearing backless tops, or wearing a low-collared top. I won't be caught dead in a dress with such a low hemline. Last week, I wore a pair of maong cutoff hotpants, but I wore them over black leggings. I don't like showing too much skin, but I love being creative with my outfits.

Being individualistic makes others remember you. For example, the following day after we went to school on dress-up clothes, a classmate of mine in swimming told me... "Ikaw yung nakita ko sa AS kahapon! Classmate pala kita. Fine Arts student ka ba?"

"Nope. Clothing Tech po ako."

XOXO, Josie.

No comments:

Post a Comment