Saturday, June 20, 2009

061809| RJ Santos

Everyone's an artist who creates an artwork everyday called the outfit. This is one of the things that I realized after our lecture in our CT11 class. I came to this thought because I realized that everything you wear can express a part of who you are and self-expression through things is art. What you wear can reflect on who you are. People can get their first impression of you from what you're wearing, and of course, how you carry yourself. It may not represent the way you are or the way you think, but it can somehow give people a hint of what to expect from you. This may not be good but people can already categorize you by just basing everything on what you're wearing even if you're really not what they think you are.

We also talked about the communication of the symbols and the perceiver. I've learned that if the garment is trying to make a statement, the one who's wearing it or rather, the one who did it should express/execute it well so that the one observing it would understand what the garment's trying to convey. It should be clear. Same applies to a person wearing something and wants to convey a message.

During the lesson, Miss Kitty gave examples and asked us what we think about the people being shown. I was quite disappointed at myself because all this time I was against stereotyping or categorizing people. It turned out that I was stereotyping the two guys being shown to us. Well, atleast now I know. One may dress according to what he/she may like but the only thing we can get right from it is the person's sense of style, not his/her age, sexual preference, social status, etc...

Then after the lecture, Miss Kitty showed us the lyrics of Gwen Stefani's Paulina and asked us to sketch her the way she was described in the song. My partner and I brainstormed and got to one conclusion, that Paulina should be very appealing and all that for Gwen Stefani to like her. I mean, come on, she's not just Gwen Stafani, she's THE Gwen Stefani. So here's what we thought, a modelesque girl who looks like a mix of Dita Von Teese, Alessandra Ambrosio and Gisele Bundchen. A very independent and confident woman who can attract both men and women. Her attitude and personality are louder than what she wears. I honestly enjoyed sketching her for we already had a picture of her in our minds. We got so excited that we spent more than half of the given time discussing Paulina. :-))

Oh, before the lecture, we did this pair work wherein we were asked to write a 'hypothetical' personal profile of our partner. It was a fun activity. I had the chance to know what others thought about me. My partner thought I was Hip Hop. :-)) She got one thing right though, that I like dogs. Hahaha, maybe I smelled like my dog that day.

-Rj Santos

No comments:

Post a Comment