Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A Non-Conformist Immune to Critcism | Tin Iglesias

The article tells us that fashion is what you wear and how you want to present yourself to the world. In Todd Bennett's case, given that he likes to have fun and typical things bore him, his appearance is one of the chief ways he expresses himself. Generally, "different" is considered bad until someone realizes that different can mean creative and out of the ordinary. Growing up, kids just want to fit in with other kids. Yet for Todd, it’s the other way around. Being different for him isn’t just good; it is essential. He prefers individuality over conformity. He refuses to give into the constant globalization process that seems to evolve with each passing day.

I, in fact, have a high regard for Todd. I personally think that we should believe in ourselves a little more instead of worrying what others think so much. I believe people should be able to co-exist - people of varying religious beliefs, political perspectives, cultural heritages, sexual orientations, and whatnot. As stated in the article “I will accept anybody as a friend. Fat, thin, black, white, old or young” and “Conformity is not necessarily bad. I appreciate conservatives – they make a wonderful contrast.” Why not look for the common concern and find the reasons to acknowledge others? Why not be grateful for each other and care for the well-being of all?

I liked the article because I can somehow relate to it. For me, I don't really mind healthy criticism. It helps me become a better person. However, there could be a point in one's life when you get attacked from all corners. It's fine because in due course, things will pass. In reality, I once received a pretty mean comment on an article I wrote for a fashion website. That person didn’t like one of the looks I styled. According to her, it is a strict no-no to use leggings as pants. Sure I was saddened by it, as well as the person I styled (as long as the top is covering the crotch, for us it’s absolutely fine). Good thing my boss made an effort to cheer me up. She told me that it’s hard to deal with negative comments; but in its place, I should take such in a good way - to observe things about my style I may not notice, but remember to stick to my guns and mode. Subsequently, quite a few sent me a message (some from other countries) in relation to the article I wrote. They told me that I actually did a great job, that they liked the post so much, and that I am talented. (WHUUUT XD)

Reminiscent of Todd Bennett, I also like to have fun and enjoy life. I love having fun with fashion. I like taking risks; experimenting and mixing diverse patterns and textures. So, why care about other people's opinions about what you wear when it's your style? It is never too late to break down the barriers and run free. One way to do that is through your clothing. Show the world that being you is wonderful beyond doubt and most of all exceptional.

<3 Tin I.

No comments:

Post a Comment